Thursday, December 31, 2015

Resolutions


I am a creature of ritual and inane symbols. I wallow in the self created importance of little things. 

It is the eve of a new year and I stood covered in coffee grinds and sugar, rubbed vigorously into every inch of skin. Exfoliation is a necessary thing, to walk into a new year with skin that glows and where the dull layer of old is scrubbed away. 2015 was not a good year, heck it wasn't even a "nice"year. So with each sweep of my hand, a little bit of awful was sloughed off. My resolutions ran through my mind as I let the water wash over me. I needed to build a post to stake my soul to for the next 365 days. It is my twentieth year and decisions are needed to begin this decade. 


1) Read hungrily 

I haven't read as voraciously as I used to. Books are the solace we find when the world around us has disintegrated into a chaotic mess of colours and we need to retreat to the black and white again. When I walk into a bookshop I am overcome with a deep sense of serenity. It is what home feels like. So I need to feast.

2) Breathe deeply

Short shallow breathing in moments of panic must be left behind. I need to stop and appreciate life as it happens between deep breaths. 

3) Prune 


Cut away people and things in my life that do not add to my being. I'm weary of feeling like I've put too much into my relationships with people and feeling hollow after. 


4) Stop procrastinating 

I'm busy flying through typing this in the ten minutes before midnight 

5) Try, try and try again 

This is going to be a year of trying hard to make up for the mistakes and failings of this 2015.  I owe it to myself to forgo self pity and to try harder. 


I kept my list of resolutions short, because they are so full of things to be done. God I hope 2016 is a great year for all of us 

No comments:

Post a Comment