Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Mythical Women and a cardboard man

When you are young and in love, you let them weave stories for you. Of their past, present and future. He loved to weave stories about her, the smile and art of her until I couldn’t help but see her as half myth, half nightmare. She was the one before me, the girl he loved despite the odds.

He would tell me how he had tirelessly and selflessly loved her- to be tossed aside.

How she completely cut him off and surely, everyone involved knew he had been done wrong.

How he had gone through all the effort of so many little things only for her to behave so cruelly.

She haunted me. Being the one he told about all this past misery and desperately wanting to make things better. He kept photos of her up and referred to them as a symbol of how he was on the moral high ground (anyone lesser would have deleted those memories and surely, she would see he was a good guy, right?). I didn’t think much of the truth behind the mythical woman before me… Until I wanted to be like her: free from him.

He likes to tell stories (after a year or two the stories start to repeat and by year four you start to tune out… He hates not being listened to but when you’ve heard the story on the same stretch of road four times now, you start looking at your phone). It’s how he humanises himself and the obscurity that surrounds him. It used to be charming when I was young and for a while he seemed quite spectacular compared to the weak conversationalists I encountered. 

Then again when you are sixteen, anyone who can talk to you about books and politics seems sophisticated. He is always the victim, the one who the world had turned their back on. How I needed to make it better and be a reminder that not everything was so dark. He did not know love or friendship and so I was responsible to be those things. He was my project to fix, to make palatable for everyone and excuse the occasional rudeness and abruptness. I could make it all better. 


The snag with silver linings is that you have to believe in them. After a while I didn’t and couldn’t.

I was in my first year of university and desperately anxious and unsure about why. He explained it away, like he explained away the friend who told me he was bad news. I once whispered my fear that the dark cloud I had was tied to him and he never let me forget that it was the last possible thing to be true. And yet the second he was gone my insides untangled themselves and my shattered nerves became whole.

He would not let me detach and the first pull away was met with a grand gesture of flowers and a mug printed with buttons. Then I was in my second year and most of it was spent home on the couch because I was convinced by him that I would hate to go out dancing (though I brought it up now and again). Then I was in my third year and at a party in April. He was prone to moods and that evening he seemed annoyed to find me at home in a strange environment, laughing with my friends. His moods were things that I needed to attend to every time. As they sang happy birthday, I looked at him sitting and refusing to try- I knew it was not how I could spend my life. And then it was January and I cried at an airport to see him off.

I was not brave when I needed to be. I waited until February, after I had sent him across an ocean and discovered what it was like to breathe again. I had to send him a message explaining why I was leaving.  Because it could never have been a phone call or something face to face because those had failed. I waited for him to settle into that flat he was excited about and I waited for a quiet evening.

I felt responsible. He made me responsible for him the way he made the woman before me responsible when she didn’t want to be.  I had written a letter once when I first wanted to run far away and I remember saying that I knew he would turn me into her, to whoever came after. We would both be women who ruined his life. I did not send it but it was saved somewhere. I never saw myself as a life-ruiner but here we are, I am unrepentant for any actions I took.

He told me that there were ways to die. To jump off buildings or in front of the red busses that whizzed around his city and that if he did, it would be my fault.  I was responsible for him. To talk someone down from that, at the expense of your soul is unbearable. So I waited for two days and removed myself from his life, digitally erasing every memory. He so loved being preserved in ways that could be referred to later on.

After he could let me go, we stayed friends for a month or so… In the same way you run a burnt hand under cold water before the reality of the pain and damaged flesh sets in, eventually it started to sink in. It was the weekend that would be five years for us and what I got was a drunken text aimed at hurting me- it just annoyed me. Because men like him don’t understand that we want to move on. They are certain of how well they gaslit and convinced us of the need we had to keep them.

Then it was July and yet again I found an unwelcome email- to meet, to exchange the remnants we had. A ruse. He needed me to admit wrongdoing, mea culpa. He received instead those things left behind. He could only offer me useless student cards from two years ago and a remark that the scarf I spent weeks knitting him for Christmas was thrust into the hands of a homeless man. It got under his skin to see me unaffected. He loved leaving some kind of lesson or impact and this last time, he could not hurt me anymore. There was no message to be left because I could see him for what he was and it was dismal. It was pathetic.

I spoke to her today. The one before me.  Because her place in my life was one of myth and legend, eventually hope. All I needed to know was that every woman before me, the pantheon of mystical and cruel women- we all did the same thing in the end. You cut off the head of the viper and run.


No doubt we are stories now. If he is the one holding your hand and telling you a story about me, at least you know my side of it too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment